Cohoat and O’Neal Management Corp. was established on January 1st, 2011 to provide a scope of services related to the golf and real estate industries.
The wealth of knowledge that Matt Cohoat and “Doc” O’Neal bring to this area of expertise is considerable and with outstanding success.
The two principals involved are:
John “Doc” O’Neal
In addition, Doc was President of Crooked Stick Golf Club, President of the Carmel Dads’ Club, and founding President of the Indiana Golf Foundation and was responsible for raising the necessary funds ($ 2,500,000) to build the Gongaware Golf Academy located in Franklin, Indiana. Doc was Chairman of the 1993 U.S. Women’s Open Championship played at Crooked Stick Golf Club in Carmel, Indiana. He has been directly involved in assisting over 4,000 young people learn and understand all facets of the game of golf.
Over the past six years Doc O’Neal and Matt Cohoat have been responsible for the growth of a wonderful daily fee golf course, Wood Wind Golf Club located in Westfield, Indiana. In that time the rounds of golf increased approximately from just over 17,000 rounds to over 32,000.
Doc’s golf accomplishments include Captain and MVP of the Purdue University Men’s Golf Team, 1987 Indiana Runner-up Player of the Year, Indiana State Amateur Runner-up in 1997, Crooked Stick Club Champion in 1980 and 1988, the 1982 Northern Open Champion, and Doc was inducted into the Indiana High School Hall of Fame in 1993.
Doc is married to Carol Culp O’Neal and they have four children and three granddaughters.
Matt is Chief Financial Officer of Becknell Industrial Properties, a privately-held full-service real estate developer and owner of over 11.0 million square feet of industrial warehouse and distribution properties located in 29 states across the United States. Matt is responsible for accounting, finance, IT, HR and administrative services at Becknell.
Prior to joining Becknell, Matt was Chief Investment Officer of Estridge Homes assisting with development. Matt was Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of Duke Realty Corporation, an over $8.0 billion publicly traded real estate investment trust. Matt was named to that position in January 2004. He had had been with Duke since 1990, serving as Senior Vice President and Chief Accounting Officer before his 2004 promotion.
Before joining Duke, Matt spent eight years with Ernst & Young. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting from Purdue University in 1982 and is a Certified Public Accountant.
Matt is a member of the Board of Directors for the following organizations:
United Way of Central Indiana
Cathedral High School
St. Mary’s Child Center
Western Golf Association
Matt earned an Evans Scholarship to Purdue University through the Evans Scholars program as a caddy and was instrumental in bringing a caddy program to Wood Wind Golf Club in 2009. Matt and Doc together combined their efforts to bring Wood Wind Golf Club to a new standard, enhanced the bottom line results, and started the “Doc” O’Neal Golf Academy at Wood Wind in 2009. Cohoat and O’Neal established a new sense of pride that resulted in a wonderful golf experience for all golfers who played Wood Wind Golf Club in the past five years.
Matt and his wife Jan have four children, Jimmy (Wife Alli), Kelly, Joey and Bobby. They are active members of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Catholic Church. Matt is a Coach of various youth basketball and baseball teams.
The scope of services that Cohoat and O’Neal Management Corp. can provide is very broad in range. In addition, collaborative resources would be available per relationships and networks that have been established.
Rich joined Cohoat and O’Neal Management Corp. in January, 2015 as Controller and was promoted to Vice President – Finance and Administration in January, 2017. In his current role, Rich oversees all aspects of the company’s accounting, finance, I.T., H.R. and administrative functions.
Prior to joining Cohoat and O’Neal, Rich spent 30 years as a financial executive working with numerous companies in the areas of financial planning, transaction structuring, due diligence, asset management and accounting. Many of those years were spent in the senior housing and long-term care industries serving as the interface between finance and operations for some of the leading providers including Beverly Enterprises, Basic American Medical Inc., Marriot International, and Forum Group, Inc. Additionally, Rich has been involved in there structuring and oversight of many private equity transactions in several industries including senior housing, aviation, golf products and services, commercial and residential real estate, hospitality and entertainment.
Rich is a graduate of Wabash College in Crawfordsville, IN and resides in Carmel, IN. He and his wife, Jane, have three children, Brad, Mark and Kyle. Rich is active in the Carmel United Methodist Church and serves Treasurer of the Board of Directors for the Carmel Dads’ Club.
Colin joined Cohoat and O'Neal Management Corp. in January 2017 after 3 years with appliedgolf (Golf Management firm based in New Jersey). His experience with appliedgolf included 2 years as Club Manager for a 18 hole Semi-Private operation in Western Massachusetts (Hickory Ridge Golf Club). His biggest accomplishments included increased sales in Outing and Banquet Business, Community Involvement, and hosting State and National Golf Tournaments including a USGA event (U.S. Amateur Qualifier) and WGAM events (Junior Tri-State and Spring/Fall Team InterClub Matches).
Colin is a graduate of Carmel High School ('03) and Purdue University ('07, B.S. Sales Management).
During Colin's time at Purdue University, he was involved in the growth of his Major (Sales Management). His involvement in Pi Sigma Epsilon, a National Sales Fraternity (Events Chair-2006-2007), Purdue's Corporate Sponsorship Program (Team Leader), and Purdue's Regional Sales Team all assisted to the growth in numbers to the School and provided new opportunities for future students in this Major. Colin was selected by his Professors to be a Teaching Assistant and Group Leader in numerous course studies that pertained to the Sales Management Major at Purdue University.
His playing Career includes All-Conference accolades (Carmel H.S. 2002), State Championship participant (Carmel H.S. 2002 & 2003), Indiana State Amateur Championship participant (2012 & 2013), and Wood Wind Club Champion (2011 & 2012).
In April 2017, Colin will be running his 2nd Marathon (Carmel Marathon), with his first being a Trail Marathon in Berkeley, CA in 2015.
He takes pride in the relationships he has with family, friends, associates, and business partners. Colin's primary business objective is to promote the Game of Golf within local, State, and National Markets and preserving and growing Golf Operations in those markets.
The wealth of knowledge that Matt Cohoat and “Doc” O’Neal bring
to this area of expertise is considerable and with outstanding success.
Scope of Services for Golf
- Organizational Structure
- Acquisitions and Lease Management Agreements
- Business Analysis
- Revenue Growth
- Expense Management
- Complete Financial Analysis and Labor Analysis
- Budgeting, Forecasting and Long Term Planning
- Monthly Reporting
- Service Training
- Golf Operations
- Food and Beverage
- ATC Training for Serving of Alcoholic Beverages
- Maintenance Assessment Review and Procedures/Course Agronomics
- Meeting with Department Heads and Assistants
- Website, Social Network and Technology
- Equipment Lease Review
- Policies and Procedures
- Insurance Review
- Economies and Efficiencies
- Licenses and Permits
- Membership Analysis
- Amenities Study
- Capital Needs Review
Cohoat and O'Neal Management Corp. are involved in the following properties:
- Prairie View Golf Club – Carmel, Indiana - Owned and operated/managed since May 21st, 2013. Host site of the 2014 – 2019 IHSAA Girls and Boys State Championship. Rounds of golf increased from 20,500 in 2013 to over 29,000 in 2015 and 2016
- Wood Wind Golf Club – Westfield, Indiana - Leased and operated/managed since January, 2011
- The Golf Preserve at Frankfort – Operated/managed since December of 2011 through December of 2015
- Brookshire Golf Club, Carmel, Indiana – A complete facility analysis and review conducted in 2011. Course is municipally owned by the City of Carmel, Indiana. Developed a “branding” plan/marketing concept in 2015
- Cattails Golf Club – Elwood, Indiana – Provided maintenance consulting throughout the year of 2013 and 2014 – management fee per agreement
- Chatham Hills Golf Course – Westfield, Indiana - New private residential golf course community development started construction in the Summer of 2014 – providing consulting work for owner/developer through 2016 on golf course and golf operations
- Echo Farms Golf Club – Wilmington, North Carolina – Called in by Applied Golf, Inc. (the management company) to assist in consulting and marketing plans for three months in 2013
- Green Acres Golf Club – Kokomo, Indiana – Management and operations from November, 2014 through December, 2016
- Elbel Park Golf Course – South Bend, Indiana - Consulting and maintenance work in Fall of 2016 for Parks Director, Aaron Perri. Provided analysis of Elbel park maintenance issues
- Elwood Golf Links – Elwood, Indiana - Responsible for the complete restoration of the community golf course that has been closed for over two years. Grand re-opening to occur on May 6th, 2017. One nine has been completed. The second nine is planned to re-open in 2018. Cohoat and O’Neal will also operate/manage the golf facility through December, 2018
- Old Oakland Golf Club – Indianapolis, Indiana – Manage/operate this private facility. Implemented renovation project which included new bunkers, new cart paths and new irrigation system, pump and pumphouse and some golf course re-design